Friday, March 04, 2005

David Mitchell

One other thing I've been wanting to say this week...

About this time last year, I was handed a book to read by one of my friends; the book was the debut novel of a man by the name of David Mitchell and was, without doubt, one of the best and most enjoyable books I've ever read; the novel consists of nine different narrative voices telling interlocking stories from different places around the globe. The geographic and temporal scope as well as Mitchell's skill in incorporating radically different narrative voices is exceptional.

Since then I've been telling everyone to read it.

Later in 2004, Mitchell shot to fame when his third (and latest) novel Cloud Atlas was the bookies favourite to win the Booker Prize (although it didn’t win); this week Cloud Atlas received gushing reviews on Richard & Judy...I say in my own defence that I am no more inclined to watch this programme than I am to read its print equivalent, the Daily Mail (of which more abusive posts will doubtless follow), I only watched it for the review.

The point of this post...read anything by this man - he is a God !

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home